Sunday, September 19, 2010

Garlic Is Good for Your Brain (at Elephant Journal)

In response to a recent post at Elephant Journal claiming that garlic that garlic is toxic to the brain, I posted a series of studies demonstrating just the opposite.

The crux of the two posts (Ramesh's and mine) is the conflict between belief and science. It may be true that some people experience restless mental states after eating garlic, but there is no scientific evidence regrading garlic and neurotoxicity - it's quite the opposite.

Go check it out. Here is the beginning.

Sometime yesterday, Ramesh Bjonnes posted an article here at the Elephant entitled, “Why Garlic Is a Brain Toxin!” I eat a lot of garlic, and I regularly recommend it to my clients for controlling cholesterol, boosting the immune system, and even for increasing testosterone levels in aging men. So I figured I’d better read the post.

I did. And then I did a Google Scholar search for “sulphone hydroxyl ion,” which is the constituent the author said causes brain toxicity. Nothing came up – I mean, like, zero. That’s rare for anything that actually exists in the world. What this means is that no scholar or scholarly journal, magazine, or web site has ever mentioned this substance. In general, that would mean it does not exist.


No comments: