Saturday, December 05, 2009

Dharma Quote of the Week - "Who is holding me back from awakening right now?"


NO SELF, NO PROBLEM
by Anam Thubten,
edited by Sharon Roe

more...


Dharma Quote of the Week

If we are still wondering how to awaken, I suggest that we meditate now and then and focus on the following question: "What is holding me back from realizing my true nature, my Buddha Nature?" This is a very powerful inquiry. I am sharing this based on my own meditation practice. This is one of my favorite meditations because it always takes me to the place where I cannot blame anybody or anything for my lack of awakening.

When we open our hearts and let go of all of our theories and speculations, when we are not distracted even by spiritual fantasies, when we simply wholeheartedly and courageously inquire into what is holding us back, that is all that we need to do. Sometimes it is good when we are by ourselves to.. shout loudly to the sky, "Who is holding me back from awakening right now?" Or we can just ask the truth, "What is holding me back from awakening right now?" Either way we can't find any answer because there is nobody there. There is nothing holding us back and that's why we never really find any answers.

If anybody tells us that they have the answer, they are obviously lying because there isn't any answer. Next we might ask, "If there are no obstacles holding me back, then why am I not awakened right now?" And when we look we realize that we are attached to our thoughts. That's all that is happening. Samsara is nothing more than our identification with thoughts. That's all there is. There is nothing there except thoughts.

--from No Self, No Problem by Anam Thubten, edited by Sharon Roe, published by Snow Lion Publications

* * *

So many opportunities and benefits! Read about what's available at...


Also, find great Last-minute gift ideas at bargain prices in our

On Sale While They Last! section.


No comments: