Thursday, August 21, 2008

The McCain Worldview



"Come on kid, pull my finger."


OK, just playing. Here's the real article, which is also funny, in a "we're all screwed if this guy wins" kind of way.

McCain: ‘I Still Believe The Fundamentals Of The Economy Are Strong’

On her radio show today, conservative talker Laura Ingraham asked Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) what he believed should be done to address the struggling U.S. economy. Ingraham listed several economic indicators that have declined in recent years to make her point. McCain dismissed the premise of Ingraham’s question, saying, “I still believe the fundamentals of our economy are strong”....
Read more.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,

I think the fundamentals of the economy are fine, too. Here's why -- and this is admittedly entirely from my experience only -- the last time the "economy was bad", I got laid off of my proofreading job. Then and now, my employer is a family-owned design firm. This time, no lay off. And now only that, but I'm finding freelancing proofreading work. See, as I learned seven years ago, in a recession-type economy, expenditures for proofreading are among the first to go. Personally that says a lot.

By the way, if you don't, you ought follow instapundit.com. One of his main themes is how we really aren't in the recession the MSM would like us to believe we are in.

Another piece of evidence: interest rates to purchase a home are still at historic lows, especially if one puts up the traditional 20% down, or even as low as 5% down. Again, this is largely boring but not unsubstantial evidence.

Take er ez,
MD

william harryman said...

Looks a bit different here, MD.

Fitness is an industry that suffers when the economy tanks. We've had to cut staff, cut hours, and start charging for once free classes. Younger PTs without established clients are really suffering.

In my writing work, publishers are finding more ways to get things done in-house, instead of farming work out to freelancers like me (who charge more). And this educational work (not commercial), a market that generally is always in demand.

Other people I know, who work in the "recovery" industry, are also suffering. Their businesses are taking insurance now, when in the past it used to be cash only.

My sense is that the economy is NOT doing well, and that this IS a recession. But perhaps it's hitting various parts of the country in different ways.

Peace,
Bill