Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Masculine Heart

I have started a new blog, for reasons that remain partially obscure to me. The new blog is called The Masculine Heart, and here is the introduction:
Starting a new blog is always a risky proposition. I'm not sure how much I have to say, or if it is relevant to anyone other than myself. I might post regularly, but I doubt it. This is likely to be an occasional blog.

However, I do invite and welcome guest posts from anyone with something to say on the topic of the masculine heart. You can email me from the link on the sidebar.

What I hope to explore is the evolving sense of masculinity. Not the wishy-washy New Age variety, but the tender-hearted warrior version Chogyam Trungpa wrote about in Shambhala. But this isn't an exclusively Buddhist blog, since being a man isn't merely a Buddhist idea.

My sense is that what it means to be male in this culture is evolving, becoming more heart-centered, but also becoming soft. Which is not to say that being heart-centered is to be soft, but rather that many men make this mistake. I believe we can be fiercely masculine and still hold a tender heart. I hope to explore how we might do that in these pages.
So there you have it.

I've posted a couple of things, and will likely post some material from this blog over there that is relevant to the topic.

Drop me a note if you want to contribute something, or know of some good blogs I should be looking at. The site is still under construction, so I will be adding things here and there.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill, this is wonderful. Thank you, thank you! I've been a facilitator for men's groups and my own work in them has been a vitally important part of my own development. (And just between you, me, and your wildly popular blog, I'm in the middle of writing something about counseling men.) I'll be very interested to follow the blog.

william harryman said...

Thanks Danny - Your range of skills continues to amaze me -- I didn't know you led men's groups.

All best,
Bill