Sunday, November 25, 2007

Gratitude - Vacation as an Altered State of Consciousness

[Sunset Crater National Park]

Having just returned home from Flagstaff this afternoon, I have the usual post-vacation let-down. It sort of reminds me of how I used to feel when I "came down" from a hallucinogenic experience.

Which got me to thinking that being on vacation is kind of like being in an altered state of consciousness for me. I can totally get outside of my normal life. I feel more myself in some ways, more open, more present. It's easy for me to get caught up in my daily "stuff" and only feel really present when training or meditating.

Certainly, spending time in nature helps. When I hike alone I tend to get a bit feral. The path or trail is only a guideline. And the cool stuff often isn't on the trail. I think more like an animal, taking the shortest path between two points and searching out whatever catches my curiosity.

But it's not just the nature. It really comes down to getting away from my daily distractions. So it's probably not so much an altered state as getting back to my true state.

Whatever it is, I'm grateful for the experience.

What are you grateful for today?


No comments: