Friday, August 03, 2007

Gratitude 8/3/07

Some things I am grateful for today:

1) I watched Breaking and Entering tonight. It stars two of my favorite actresses, Robin Wright Penn and Juliette Binoche, as well as Jude Law. I've had a crush on Juliette Binoche for the better part of 20 years, and she is still amazingly beautiful.

Brief synopses of the film:

Minghella's 'Breaking and Entering' is an excellent modern tale set in London that revolves around the relationships of (1) a "green" company director, (2) his longtime Swedish girlfriend and (3) a Bosnian immigrant. Admittedly I am not a big fan of Jude Law (what self respecting individual is!?) but he plays his part so efficiently it was a masterstroke casting him in the lead role. His character is trite seemingly disinterested and frequently irritating but wholly believable and realistic. He may come across as a London male stereotype but as said Law is so convincing it does not matter it just adds to the realism. Wright Penn is fantastic as his troubled Swedish girlfriend. She has to look after her 10 year old daughter suffering from ADD while struggling to feel appreciated and loved by the vacuous Law. Wright Penn fits the bill ably. Her character may be not perfect, her role at the end of the film is somewhat lacking in self respect and is slightly humiliating and desperate following a very selfless action she takes in helping out someone else, but again the films strength is its realism not its heroics. But the star of the film is the magnificent Binoche. Her performance is easily the best female performance I've seen in a film... ever!

2) I am also grateful for a good week of workouts -- got in four solid days this week (M/T/Th/F). Feels good to be back on track.

3) And I am grateful for The Gift of Therapy by Irv Yalom. It's a sort of Letters to a Young Poet for therapists. My friend Susan loaned it to me and it's a great read.

What are you grateful for today?


No comments: