Sunday, July 01, 2007

Gratitude 7/1/07

My buddy Tom at Blogmandu mentioned my work with gratitude in his roundup for today -- for which I am grateful. I thought this would be a good opportunity to say little bit about my gratitude practice.

When I began the project more than a year ago, the idea was to test out a practice that the Positive Psychology people were advocating. What I found was that it made me feel less constricted by the problems in my life and more expansive, more thankful for the good things, even when they are trivial.

When I began the daily practice again last month, it was in an effort to get me out of the depression I was suffering. I don't think it was just the gratitude work -- I was doing some other things as well -- but it worked. I have been feeling much better in the last couple of weeks.

One thing Tom didn't mention in his post was a recent study that suggests that daily gratitude doesn't work for everyone -- they suggested once a week. Anything that can help people feel more grateful for what they have is a good thing.

So, I am grateful for this practice and how it has helped me appreciate the good things in my life.

I am also grateful for Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda -- I have been trying to kick my aspartame addiction. It doesn't taste quite right, but it works.

What are you grateful for?


No comments: