Sunday, April 22, 2007

Going Back to School?

After nearly 15 years of hemming and hawing, I am once again seriously considering going back to school -- for a PhD. in clinical psychology. This was my original goal as an undergraduate, but during my senior year I got seduced the dumbass, romantic idea of being starving poet. Like that was ever a good life choice.

Let that be a lesson to all you youngsters out there -- the four essential nutrients are water, fat, protein, and carbs (in that order), and not coffee, french fries, vodka, and cigarettes (in any order). Those last four can make a smart person do dumb things.

Anyway, naming this intention out loud, in public, makes it a little more real. I've already talked with my girlfriend about it and she is totally supportive, even if it means staying in Tucson longer than either of us would like.

So, if any of you know of a good program, I am open to suggestions. The U of A program is tough to get into (7 people get in each year out of 250-300 applicants). I don't lack the smarts, and my transcripts are pretty impressive, but I don't hold a degree in psych, so that hurts my chances.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Coffee is good for you and in every recipe I know of it contains lots of vital water.

Coffee also helps you to blog during late-evening and early-morning hours.

Studying clinical psychology, on the other hand, eats up lots of valuable blogging time. 'Going back to school' is the life-wasting transfat of a professional-quality blogger. It's popping Oreos and getting crumbs into your keyboard.

I take it that you might even leave Tucson if you could get into a good program somewhere far away -- say at Stanford or Harvard. Ah, William. I guess it might be OK if you cut back on your blogging, like, 10%, maybe, for this. Live the dream.